Hans-Willem Snoeck, M.D., Ph.D.
The research program of the Snoeck lab primarily focuses on hematopoiesis with the aim to improve bone marrow transplantation and gene therapy targeted at hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs), and gain insight in leukemogenesis. To achieve a deeper understanding of the mechanisms involved in self-renewal of HSCs, we have mapped genes underlying quantitative genetic variation in the behavior of HSCs among inbred mouse strains. After identifying allelic variation in the Prdm16 gene as one of the underlying mechanisms, the lab now focuses on the mechanism of action of Prdm16 in the renewal of HSCs. Expansion of this program into directed differentiation of human embryonic stem cells (ESCs) and induced pluripotent state cells (iPSCs) (collectively called human pluritpotent cells (hPSCs)) arose from the desire to attempt to alleviate post-bone marrow transplantation immune deficiency, caused, among others, by defective T cell reconstitution. Furthermore, the capacity to generate thymic epithelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells will allow the generation of the next generation of "personal immune" mice. As the thymus develops from the anterior foregut endoderm, the approaches we developed also led to strategies to generate virtually every type of cell of the respiratory system from hPSCs.
- Huang SX, Islam MN, O'Neill J, Hu Z, Yang Y-Y, Chen Y-W, Green MD, Mumau M, Vunakc-Novakovic G, Bhattacharya J and Snoeck HW. (2014) Highly efficient generation of lung and airway epithelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Nature Biotechnol. 32: 84-91.
- Kamezaki K and Snoeck HW. (2014) Differential requirement of wild-type Flt3 in leukemic stem cells which is not reflected in vitro assays for leukemic stem cells. Exp. Hematol. 42: 192-203.
- Baker SJ, Ma'ayan A, Lieu YK, John P, Reddy MVR, Chen EY, Duan Q, Snoeck HW and Reddy EP. (2014) B-myb is an essential regulator of hematopoietic stem cell and myeloid progenitor cell development. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 111: 3122-3127.
- Green M, Huang S and Snoeck HW (2013). Stem cells of the respiratory system: From identification to differentiation into functional epithelium. Bioessays 35: 261-270. PMID: 23175215.
- Longmire TA, Ikonomou L, Hawkins F, Christodoulou C, Cao Y, Jean JC, Kwok LW, Mou H, Rajagopal J, Shen SS, Dowton AA, Serra M, Weiss DJ, Green MD, Snoeck HW, Ramirez MI and Kotton DN. (2012)
Efficient derivation of purified lung and thyroid progenitors from embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 10: 398-411. PMCID: PMC3322392.
- Green MD, Chen A, Nostro MC, d'Souza SL, Schaniel C, Lemischka IR, Gouon-Evans V, Keller G and
Snoeck HW (2011). Generation of anterior foregut endoderm from human embryonic and induced
pluripotent stem cells. Nature Biotechnol. 29: 267-72. PMID: 21358635.
- Aguilo F, Avagyan S, Labar A, Sevilla A, Lee DF, Kumar P, Lemischka IR, Zhou BY and Snoeck HW.
(2011). Prdm16 is a physiologic regulator of hematopoietic stem cells. Blood 117: 5057-66. PMCID: PMC3109532.
- Kumar R, Avagyan S and Snoeck HW (2010). A quantitative trait locus on chr.4 regulates thymic
involution. J. Gerontol. A. Biol. Sci. Med. Sci. 65: 620-5. PMCID: PMC2904592.
- Yvan-Charvet L, Pagler T, Gautier EL, Avagyan S, Siry RL, Han S, Welch CL, Wang N, Randolph GJ,
Snoeck HW and Tall AR (2010). ATP-binding cassette transporters and HDL suppress hematopoietic stem
cell proliferation. Science 328: 1689-93. PMCID: PMC3032591.
- Fossati V, Kumar R and Snoeck HW (2010). Progenitor cell origin plays a role in fate choices of mature B cells. J. Immunol. 184: 1251-60. PMCID: PMC2809811.
Professor Hans-Willem SnoeckPhone: